Bailey83221 (bailey83221) wrote in politicalbridge,
Bailey83221
bailey83221
politicalbridge

A Day in the Life of Joe Republican

The post is getting way to big at http://azplace.net/index.php?itemid=460 I have dial up and gets slower and slower...So I decided, if you all like, to move it over here....

A Day in the Life of Joe Republican

Floating around the internet, reproduced for your edification here...

Joe gets up at 6 a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards. With his first swallow of water, he takes his daily medication. His medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to ensure their safety and that they work as advertised.

All but $10 of his medications are paid for by his employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Joe gets it too.

He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

In the morning shower, Joe reaches for his shampoo. His bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained.

Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for the laws to stop industries from polluting our air.

He walks on the government-provided sidewalk to subway station for his government-subsidized ride to work. It saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union.

If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

It is noontime and Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some godless liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the Great Depression.

Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae-underwritten mortgage and his below-market federal student loan because some elitist liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime. Joe also forgets that his in addition to his federally subsidized student loans, he attended a state funded university.

Joe is home from work. He plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards to go along with the tax-payer funded roads.

He arrives at his boyhood home. His was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers' Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans.

The house didn't have electricity until some big-government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification.

He is happy to see his father, who is now retired. His father lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, cheese-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

Joe gets back in his car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't mention that the beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day. Joe agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I'm a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."
Posted on 09/28/2004 at 22:14 by Naum - Section: Politics
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic
  • 17 comments
travbailey wrote:
"Oh you disagree, that's okay my view is mine yours is yours. One of us is wrong and one of us is right. have a nice day and live for love."

Nah nah nah nah....kanbala...you getting the christmas spirit mondo?

"Also I often wonder why liberals aren't in favor of having the mother strangle the child right there on the delivery table? Sound harsh? Well really what is the difference? Just because we can't see the baby yet we have the right to suck it out with a vacuum, which by the way tears the baby apart. A lot of doctors and nurses who perform the procedure have said the baby often screams in pain. "

Hey this is one liberal who cares less about abortion. If they outlaw it tommorow I wouldnt give a shit. In fact, my prediction is they will outlaw it, the way things are going.
Big fucking deal.
Won't change my life one iota.

But it is a package deal, which I don't think kerry and mondo have really deeply considered:

You get no more abortions:

*BUT you also make less money, and your dollar doesnt seem to go as far,
and

*your kids make less than you do when they grow up, working more hours.

*Health care costs continues to increase, including your deductable, and more people are uninsured. etc, etc.,

*Your relative drive the brand new pinto car, get in a wreck, get killed, and you can't sue--and the auto manufacture walks laughing, all the way to the bank.

So you know what, you two will get your ban on abortions, your gay marriage bans, maybe even your prayer in school, and your life will not be ONE IOTA different as a result, except at what economic cost?

Package deal. Think about it.

Problem is ...I.... dont give shit about abortion, gay marriage, or prayer in school, but ...I... have to live with the decisions and consequences that middle- class republicans make.

And the elite, the real elite of America, those who control both the democrats and the republicans, walk all the way to the bank, from the efforts of OUR hard work, laughing all the way, as the gap between us and them continue to widen.

But hey!
There is no more abortion!
We can pray in school!
Hey church and state work together!
That makes all the other economic changes okay.

My kids will make less than me and also have less social nets than I did, but hey, THEY CAN PRAY IN SCHOOL! God bless America!

-
-
-
It is no accident that the top 3 (?) people on the fortune 500 are Waltons of Wal-mart.

* The same company which pressures companies to move overseas (taking our jobs--thanks Bill Clinton for NAFTA, you prick),

* viciously refuses to join the union (unions pay on average much higher than non-union jobs, and I have the department of labor statistics to show this clearly)

* passes out food stamp applications to new employees in some stores (which, by the way we the taxpayer pay for--we are subsidizing Wal-Mart's everyday low prices, only indirectly),

* pay a fraction of what manfucturing jobs paid a generation ago--with no pension,

* worse health care (Wal-mart manipulates the hell out of people's hours so they dont have to pay health care) and much, much lower wages.

Wal-mart is the face of the future of the new Republican American--a whole lot of poor people on the bottom, and some really, really rich powerful greedy fuckers on the top, like the Rockefellers of days gone passed, making the laws and lobbying to change the laws to be more favorible to them--which actually means less money and less security for your family and mine.

It is amazing how our laws are changing to accomodate big business.

I study the consequences of tort reform everyday in law school.

That is just one consequence, the legal one, there are dozens of others.
Posted on 12/23/2004 at 20:27
travbailey wrote:
Neocon and I have been arguing this same economic debate on the politicalbridge web blog, if you wnat to join in, here is the link, Neocon made some really good points. :

http://www.livejournal.com/ (here)
Posted on 12/23/2004 at 20:32
mondomojo1969 wrote:
"But hey!
There is no more abortion!
We can pray in school!
Hey church and state work together!
That makes all the other economic changes okay."

in the words of Sam Cooke "What a wonderful world it would be."

"Package deal. Think about it."

Your argument is flawed travis, there is nothing in polotics that is truly a package deal. Poloticians try to tack on completely unrelated articles to bills all the time, that is why we need to elect officials with the moral cahones to derail such actions, I have not and did not and will not state that I am 100% for anything pushed by conservatives. The moral changes in our society have NOTHING to do with economic changes. And to say i will accept abortiions if my kids can make more money is just wrong. What about the income those aborted HUMANS would have made? Everything in life is not about money, If the rich conservatives is concerned with money, I dont think a Liberal arguing as you did proves that is so.

"BUT you also make less money, and your dollar doesnt seem to go as far,
and "
My income has more to do with the Economic tides of our nation than with government.

"*your kids make less than you do when they grow up, working more hours."
This simply isnt true, because of "insourcing" alot of japanese owned comanies are switing to the 4 10 hour work days and they offer HUGE benefit plans, Bonuses and Overtime to factory workers (more or less unskilled labor)

*Health care costs continues to increase, including your deductable, and more people are uninsured. etc, etc.,

Thanks to trial Lawyers like Edwards, Ambulance chasers, and Insurance fraud.

*Your relative drive the brand new pinto car, get in a wreck, get killed, and you can't sue--and the auto manufacture walks laughing, all the way to the bank.

RIGHT, ever hear of http://www.consumer.gov/

AARP

Consumer Protection
601 E St., NW
Washington, DC 20049
202-434-2222
Fax: 202-434-6470

Alliance Against Fraud in Telemarketing and Electronic Commerce (AAFTEC)

National Consumers League
1701 K St., NW, Suite 1200
Washington, DC 20006
202-835-3323
Fax: 202-835-0747

American Council on Consumer Interests (ACCI)

415 South Duff, Suite C
Ames, IA 50010-6600
515-956-4666
Fax: 515-233-3101

American Council on Science and Health (ACSH)

1995 Broadway, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10023-5860
212-362-7044
Fax: 212-362-4919

Center for Auto Safety (CAS)

1825 Connecticut Ave., NW Suite 330
Washington, DC 20009
202-328-7700

Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI)

1875 Connecticut Ave., NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20009
202-332-9110
Fax: 202-265-4954

Center for the Study of Services

733 15th St., NW
Washington, DC 20005
202-347-7283
Toll free: 1-800-213-7383
Fax: 202-347-4000

Coalition Against Insurance Fraud

1012 14th St. NW, Suite 200
Washington, DC 20005
202-393-7330
Fax: 202-393-7329

Congress Watch

215 Pennsylvania Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20003
202-546-4996
Fax: 202-547-7392

Consumer Action

717 Market St., Suite 310
San Francisco, CA 94103
415-777-9635 (Consumer Complaints)
213-623-8327 (Hotline)
TTY: 415-777-9456
Fax: 415-777-5267

Consumer Alert

1001 Connecticut Ave., NW, Suite 1128
Washington, DC 20036
202-467-5809
Fax: 202-467-5814

Consumer Federation of America (CFA)

1424 16th St., NW, Suite 604
Washington, DC 20036
202-387-6121
Fax: 202-265-7989

Families USA

1334 G St., NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20005-3169
202-628-3030
Fax: 202-347-2417

The Federation of American Consumers and Travelers (FACT)

318 Hillsboro Ave.,
P.O. Box
Edwardsville, IL 62025
Toll Free: 1-800-USA-FACT

Funeral Consumers Alliance

33 Patchen Road
South Burlington, VT 05403
802-865-8300
Toll free: 1-800-765-0107
Fax: 802-865-2626

HALT: An Organization of Americans for Legal Reform

1612 K St. NW, Suite 510
Washington, DC 20006
202-887-8255
Toll free: 1-888-367-4258
Fax: 202-887-9699

and many many more from the governments own consumer web site all orginizations to educate and help consumers when they may have a legal or otheer consumer problems.
Posted on 12/24/2004 at 04:26
mondomojo1969 wrote:
and to even suggest that financial gain is more important than any one human life is really not a very good "LIBERAL" View

Hillary Clinton recently commented that we all need to make sacrifices for the greater good of society.

Where's all that liberal compassion?

"Won't change my life one iota." It's all about the "ME" generation. I thought liberals put personal gains on the back-burner for social gain?

"Problem is ...I.... don't give shit about abortion, gay marriage, or prayer in school, but ...I... have to live with the decisions and consequences that middle- class republicans make."

I care about human life, I care about the sanctity of marriage, and I care about religious freedom, We all have to live with any decisions our ELECTED officials put into place, if we don't like it we ELECT someone willing to make the changes we want.
Posted on 12/24/2004 at 04:41
mondomojo1969 wrote:
The BABY is awake now, play time is OVER. Bye all.
Posted on 12/24/2004 at 04:43
Kerrysucks wrote:
"I care about human life, I care about the sanctity of marriage, and I care about religious freedom, We all have to live with any decisions our ELECTED officials put into place, if we don't like it we ELECT someone willing to make the changes we want. "

Good Mondo! Great point! (still not beating my chest, OWW!) :)

'Problem is ...I.... don't give shit about abortion, gay marriage, or prayer in school"
You know Trav, it does matter. It cheapens life. It makes the value of life go down. Every time a life is aborted it sends a message to the world that the life didn't matter. It ia getting to the point where getting an abortion it like getting a tooth pulled. A life is more important than money. Money and everything else is just the extras. You have to be alive to enjoy them right?
Posted on 12/24/2004 at 12:56
Kerrysucks wrote:
I have a ton to do so I am outta here!
Merry Christmas Everyone! Have a safe and wonderful Christmas!
Posted on 12/24/2004 at 12:59
travbailey wrote:
"Your argument is flawed Travis, there is nothing in politics that is truly a package deal."

Please explain in more detail why my argument is flawed, a generalization yes, but I think it has a lot of truth to it.

"Politicians try to tack on completely unrelated articles to bills all the time, that is why we need to elect officials with the moral cahones to derail such actions, I have not and did not and will not state that I am 100% for anything pushed by conservatives. The moral changes in our society have NOTHING to do with economic changes."

I believe that they do, as I think I mentioned in detail above.

Because when you vote in a moral conservative politician, you are not only voting in someone who has strong moral values (or at least claims to have them--we are talking about politicians after all) you are voting in a particular conservative economic plan too.

Politician are not like Bishops or pastors in a church--they do not solely focus only on religious values, in fact, this is a MINORITY of what their time is spent on. The majority is how our government works, and through laws, who gets what portion of the economic pie.

"And to say i will accept abortions if my kids can make more money is just wrong. What about the income those aborted HUMANS would have made?"

You make me sound like I am choosing money over abortions, that is not the case. Abortions is a non-issue for me, so my vote is not decided on this.

If the issue of abortion is important to you, vote Republican. I am simply pointing out that the economic political platform of Republicanism is against your best interests. Time and again, the Republicans (and more and more Democrats) will pander to the special interests that got them in office--to our economic detriment...

Repealing abortion costs politicians and the business elite Zero dollars. Changing overtime and minimum wage laws so that less people get them, gives the politicians and the business elite who fund their campaigns big financial rewards, at our costs.

Sorry for being so jaded, but do you think for a minute that most of these politicians really care about "values"? Please. They only care about increasing their own personal power and wealth. Politics attracts the greedy and power hungry like shit attracts flies.

"Everything in life is not about money, If the rich conservatives is concerned with money, I dont think a Liberal arguing as you did proves that is so."

Maybe everything in life is not about money for you.

Mondo, spoken like a rich Westerner.

It is really easy to write that "Everything in life is not about money" when you live a very comfortable life, free from want.

A life that, as much as you do not want to accept it, was created by your activist ancestors on the streets of every major city, many who where beaten, jailed, and died for the privileges you enjoy today.
Cont…
Move to Ukraine and live like a Ukrainian for a year. After a year I will poll you and ask you what is the most important issue to you. How much you want to bet all of those economic issues that I mentioned are way above abortion, which has fallen way, way down the list? Only religious fanatics and the most truly devout put their own selfish self interests (and those of their family) above all others.

Many conservatives, Neocon is one of them, argue that they have a "rugged individualism" and they don't like government messing with their lives. That is what “Joe Republican” believes in the above example.

For an extreme example:
If that is the case, move to Somalia, which has NO government, and an anarchy.

I talked with the Peace Corps director of Ukraine and he told me a story about how drivers would go down the road and be stopped by kids. They would demand a few cents to fill a pot hole with rocks. After the driver paid them a few cents, they would put the rocks in the huge pot holes, the driver would drive past, and then they would remove the rocks, awaiting the next car to pass by.

Sure this is an extreme example, but it just shows how much the "intrusive government" is involved with your life and you never really think about it. It is an illusion pushed by the right that less government is better government. A more correct analogy would be better run government is better government.

You don't see Chevrolet through it's entire business life and many of the Airline and insurance companies which were bailed out by the government complain to much about "too much government". You never heard the Rockefeller and all of the other monopolists at the early part of the twentieth century complain about "too much government" when the government national guard came in and killed protestors demanding the government protected rights you have today and take for granted.

Everything in life for YOU is not about money, but those who hold the real power in this country, that is what EVERYTHING is about.
Posted on 12/24/2004 at 14:08
travbailey wrote:
Cont…
Why was there the Iran hostage scandal?

Well, that was because the CIA covertly overthrew the elected (I believe he was elected) leader of Iran in the 1950's, and put in the Shah.

Why did they overthrow the leader of Iran?

Because he was a socialist and had the AUDACITY to try to nationalize British Petroleum plants in his own country.

That is one example of hundreds Mondo.

I can dig up a fabulous quote by a politician who was disillusioned fighting the early American empire wars—when we truly became an empire—late 1800’s—he ran our occupation of Haiti for a few years. He talked about how he was a foot solider for American corporations.

Only the American masses like ourselves believe that American foreign interventions is for “democracy and freedom” –I think that an Indian writer wrote it best that the word “democracy” is the West’s whore.

Ever single war that America has fought, and there have been hundreds of them, are always peddled for “democracy and freedom”, unfortunately for those who peddle these ideas to the masses (like some cheap whore), history shows something starkly different (for those interested enough in actually reading it).

So in merciful conclusion:

First:
Money DOES matter to you, you simply have so much of it, and live in a country that is very wealthy, you are under the mistaken (and dangerous) illusion that money DOES NOT matter.

Second:
Money might not matter to simple people like ourselves, but it does matter to those in power.

You are superimposing your own strong morals with those of the elite and leaders in the country.

This is a very grievous and economically dangerous fallacy.
Posted on 12/24/2004 at 14:10
travbailey wrote:
Kerrysucks wrote:
"Good Mondo! Great point!"
Hey where is my cheerleader.

Mondo has a cheerleader and I don't NO FAIR!

In fact, I noticed that all of my conservative friends joined the caht group but none of my liberal friends did, what is up with that (voter fatigue from losing???) So now I am even MORE out numbered. LOL
Posted on 12/24/2004 at 14:14
travbailey wrote:
"RIGHT, ever hear of http://www.consumer.gov/ "
"and many many more from the governments own consumer web site all orginizations to educate and help consumers when they may have a legal or otheer consumer problems."
"*Health care costs continues to increase, including your deductable, and more people are uninsured. etc, etc.,
Thanks to trial Lawyers like Edwards, Ambulance chasers, and Insurance fraud. "

Mondo, Do you know the history of consumer protection? Neither do I, but I think I know jsut a little bit more than yourself, based on your comments.

Like I said, the more I learn, the less I discuss issues and instead educate others on issues...
i dont have time or energy to do this...
"Like I said, the more I learn, the less I discuss issues and instead educate others on issues...
i dont have time or energy to do this..."

I sound like such an arrogant bastard, I am getting bored again and discouraged again writing all of this. My zeal for writing on these boards goes in depressing waves, and it is at an ebb now.

I just had a rather sobering Christmas where I realized, yet again, how little I enjoy the company of the vast majority of Americans, and would leave tommorow forever if I could. My wie and I talked at length about it today--she agrees with everything I say about America, as many Russian immigrants do, but she is more of an optomist than I am....

I feel like a stranger in my own country. Pretty sad.

I look forward to reading those books, but my zeal for fighting has dropped precariously....
As soon as you start talkin some "conservative ideology" I will be your cheerleader too! It will be, :Go Tra-av, Go Tra- av, it's you birthday! It's your birthday! LOL!

I guess I keep going to the Joe Republican board because I am a creature of habit! Hey, I am a conservative remember?! I am resistent to change! LOL!


I want to comment on what you said but my brain is much. I have been up for three nights wrapping gifts, baking,, etc untill three o'clocj in the morning! I can't even think straight anymore. I know I'm cooked becasue I have read over the posts twice now and nothing makes sense. I don't even know where I am. I need sleep! I am going to be up late tonight too! God help me! I will read it on Sunday.

Merry Christmas!
well merry christmas....enjoy it with your family.

My family is not celebrating Christmas , Russians/Ukrainians have

two christmas's
(christmas [Dec 25th] and old christmas [January 7th])

and

two New Years
(New Years [January 1st] and old New Years [January 13th]).

Russians/Ukrainians don't really celebrate Christmas Dec 25th.

The religious minority, who are Greek Orthodox, celebrate Christmas according to the old greek calendar (which is a few days behind the calender we use)--celebrate Old christmas on January 7th.

Instead of christmas, most Russians/Ukrainians celebrate New Years, they open gifts, have fireworks, and watch their leader give a speech at midnight.

I have gotten used to not celebrating Christmas after 5 years....

My family has adapted to the American Halloween, 4th of July, and Thanksgiving holiday traditions though.
Please vote for which book you want before you get off line... :)
Hi Trav,

I think you just miss your conservatives friends. You miss our optimitic vibes that we vibrate through the WWW. Chin up little Buckaroo! Now that Christmas in over we are coming back!

I was wondering about something, well acutually, a couple of things... This first thing is (and please don't take offense) are you a Communist? I was just curious. And what does you wife think of America? Does she hate it here? Does she want to leave? Is she a communist too?


No I am not a communist.
No offense taken.

I have a couple of American friends who are though. Communism is too much like a religion�

I hate when I talk to people who give answers like me...you just want a simple answer, but are not given one...

Like most subjects in life, there is no such thing as a black and white answer, but a range between grays...

Imagine a straight line, on one end is fascism, on the other end is communism, the American political system fits in between fascism and communism:

Mainstream republicans (closer to fascism),
neo-conservatives (even closer to fascism),
mainstream democrats (closer to communism),
greens (even closer to communism) [this is overly simplistic, but you get the point]

On this line, I just happen to be more socialist than most Democratic Americans, but much, much less socialist than true believers in communism.

Maybe I am closest to the beliefs of Ralph Nadar and the Greens? I tend to identify with the most radical leftist intellectuals in the country, including Naom Chomsky and Howard Zinn.

It is really hard to pigeon hole me, especially since I don't really know myself...but I guess I am a socialist/capitalist?

I guess that doesn't help, since these two terms are contradictions....

I am more socialist than most Americans (but that is not very hard to be).

I tend to feel that countries like Switzerland and the Nordic countries (Finland, Sweden and Norway) have their shit together and priorities straight more than we do socially, and they represent one of the best governments.

But none of these four countries have the bill of rights, which I feel is a definite plus for America.

There are such things as socialist democracies. Many Americans tend to attribute socialism only with communism, which is not correct at all. I think the Nordic countries and Switzerland are more socialist countries than we are, but of course are still democracies. In fact Switzerland in much more "democratic", in the sense that the citizenship participates in the government, much more than Americans do.

I won't get into the whole communist thing in detail. I will just say that only single digit percent of people living in the Soviet Union were actual members of the communist party. Communists never considered themselves communists--but socialists aspiring to communism (kind of a religious nirvana of sorts--communism had many of the attributes of religion, like our country does, but to a greater extent). Generally, only old people "pensioners" are still communists in Russia and Ukraine. People who were party members (often only to get better jobs) no longer consider themselves members of communism.

My wife is happier here than I am. Her life was hell in Ukraine. I would have hated Ukraine if I lived like a Ukrainian too, on $40-$70 a month. But instead, I was a rich American, living on $300 a month. I was a superstar of sorts there simply because of my nationality.
"My wife is happier here than I am. Her life was hell in Ukraine. I would have hated Ukraine if I lived like a Ukrainian too, on $40-$70 a month. But instead, I was a rich American, living on $300 a month. I was a superstar of sorts there simply because of my nationality. "

Why do you think that is? Why would you want to return?
hey kerry,
thanks for your time,

I answered your question in my longer post to your husbands account...

thanks for your time. Wonderful to talk to you, it is theraputic, even when I am arguing with you....a kind of journal that talks back....

lets focus more on politics,
less on my side ideas :-)

"I answered your question in my longer post to your husbands account..."
It is a continuation of the response above...
I never answered your question directly:
my wife is not a communist, and she has never been a member of the communist party. The USSR colapsed when she was young--late teens--She is pretty disinterested in politics. None of her family are communists either that I know of or were ever part of the communist party--as I said only those who wanted a succesfuly career or were ture belivers were communists.

You should see the movie goodbye lenin, filmed in Germany in 2004, it is in german with subtitles, the story takes place during the fall of the Berlin Wall--it is a great comedy, fabulous movie.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/good_bye_lenin/

More than illustrating the good that liberalism has wrought in the past, this post illuminates how far from their good, decent, honorable traditions today's liberalism has strayed. I'm not sure there's a single thing in the entire set of scenarios that doesn't depict the benefits of legislation passed prior to 1970. I also notice the glaring absence of Joe's benefiting from the brutal, monsterous practice of slaughtering his unborn child, ambiguously termed "abortion" by those uncomfortable with its grim reality.